Friday, February 23, 2007

HAH!

I am vindicated!

The Clovis peoples were not the first to inhabit North America and that 13K years ago figure is bullshit. Which I've said since I first heard that 'ice corridor' migration theory in eighth grade.

HAH.

Article here.

I'm going to gloat now. For quite some time. (For those of you not up on your N American history - and if you don't live here, who can blame you?- the standard theory on the colonization for N America is that people came from Asia to Alaska on foot across a land bridge in the Bearing Strait that existed during the low sea levels of the last ice age. Then they walked through an 'ice corridor' in the glacier that covered Canada - an ice corridor there's NEVER been any evidence for and goes against everything I ever learned in geology - and then slooowly settled N and S America, starting 13K years ago. Bullshit. Utter bullshit. They used boats and came along the coasts from Asia much earlier, and I will bet big bucks that there were other waves of colonization from other places, including Europe, Polynesia, and Africa. The Polynesian has been proven by DNA and the European by linguistics.)



In reply to the baby/germ relationship, what happens is, the Baby picks things up because she doesn't have much of an immune system yet. Then she brings them home and coughs snot in my face. I don't care WHAT scientists say, fighting off the occasional germ at the grocery store is far different than having ten billion of them coughed into my eyes. So then I get sick.

And I keep forgetting to mention, I KILLED THE FUCKING ROACH! The little bastard that lived under the toaster? He's dead now. I got up at three AM the other night for a drink, and who was at the sink ahead of me but Mr. Roach, sipping away. I reached under the sink for something toxic, came up with Drano, and poured it over him. Instant dead roach. It worked so well I wish I could do it on carpeting.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm with ya on the gloating, both about ancient peoples and killing roaches. How strange the two go together so nicely.

Hugs on being sick, and the baby as well. It just sucks.

YAY on that lovely laceweight!!!

TrishJ

Bells said...

you know what, as romantic as the ice corridor notion sounds, the boat theory sounds more believable. The rest of the world was inhabited over time that way, wasn't it (as far as I know), so why wouldn't north America have been inhabited that way, too?

yay for the dead roach. A dead roach is a good roach.

Not so yay for the germs.

Lola Lee Beno said...

Yeah . . . how else could one explain the Olmecs? The stone heads are very African-looking - who's to say Africans didn't get in boats and sail to that region?

Louiz said...

Horizon (I think) had a special some time ago that they reshow on UKTV History every so often showing that the spear points (name of which I cannot remember) were identical to ones made in France, and they did show a fairly plausible method of transport (combination of boat and walking along the sea coast/ice coast). Very interesting it was too. Next time they repeat it I'll pay more attention and post the details!

Try garlic supplements for the colds - It doesn't wipe them out entirely but it does help get over them faster.

Nina said...

Did you happen to catch the PBS Nova program about the Clovis this week? I only caught parts of it, so didn't get to see when it was made--whether it was an older program. I thought that's where you saw this. Now I have to do research, ugh!

Isn't the real question, how does the Clovis point relate to the development of the knitting needle, and whether its development would it be related to the recent discovery of "lace point" knitting needles?

historicstitcher said...

I'm totally with you on the boat theory. I studied geology and anthropology at the same time in college, and it has baffled me since why they were clinging to an ice corridor theory when all the Polynesian islands (etc.) were colonized by boat without any land to skirt along!