Monday, December 10, 2007

Found it.

And I am recording it here, so that NEXT year, I can print it out instead of spending three freakin' hours flipping through cookbooks. (And I'm so nauseated from this migraine, I didn't even get hungry.)


REALLY FAST ALMOND COOKIES:

8 oz butter (two sticks)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use salted butter and add just a tiny pinch of salt)
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup finely ground almonds (I buzz 'em up in a mini food processor)
a slosh of almond extract if you've got it; Grand Marnier is nice too

Mix it all together into a paste, roll into a log, wrap in foil, and chuck in the fridge. (This is the same method as the toffee-chip shortbread cookies, and known as an 'icebox cookie' in this part of the world. Your useless food trivia for the day.) When it's cold, slice into rounds about 1/4 inch thick (a really thin knife, like a boning knife, is good for this), lay out on a cookie sheet, and bake at 300 degrees, this says for thirty minutes but I'd start checking them at fifteen. When they juuuust start turning brown on the edges, they're done.

The recipe says to make little sandwiches out of them, with raspberry jam, but my family scarfs 'em up, as-is.

I'm so freakin' domestic.

5 comments:

Bells said...

I am so making these. Thank you.

Amy Lane said...

Yeah--I'm thinking I"ll make them too... (Chicken is making noises about actually COOKING as opposed to picking pieces of dough out of the package and putting them on the cookie sheet. Have we mentioned I suck as a mother?)

Donna Lee said...

I think these sound yummy. I love almonds. I try new recipes for cookies this year. These are this years. Thanks! (like I need to eat more cookies)

NeedleTart said...

Not to be picky, but (fine, I'm picky) if there are 16 ounces in a pound and butter is sold by the pound, cut into quarters, wouldn't 8 ounces be two sticks?

Julie said...

Bugger. Needle Tart is right. (Or rather, bugger that I was wrong. Not that she caught it.) It should be two sticks of butter. I'll fix the recipe here, and post a notice. Sorry.

I screwed this up, last year, too.