Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Book review!

There are going to be several of those in the next week or two, 'cause I kinda lost my head with the tax return and bought a bunch. (We will not discuss the Amazon order. Nope.)

Anyway. "Latvian Dreams" by Joyce Williams.


Short review: I want to be Joyce Willams when I grow up. 'Nuff said.

Longer version: Williams got the idea to use twill sett patterns, that were designed for weaving, and knit them up. Total. Brilliance. Lots and lots and lots of excellent technique stuff in the front of the book, and lots and lots of extra charts of more twill setts in the back. Plus a bunch of full-on patterns in the middle, to get you into the groove. My favorite? The "Cornfields" sweater:

Kick. Ass.

The only drawback to many of these sweaters is, they're knit at teeny-tiny gauges, and I've vowed that the next time I knit something at nine stitches to the inch on size ones, I AM KEEPING IT. So I'm going to have to adapt some patterns... but my mother-in-law is getting SOMETHING out of this book for Christmas. (Knit at five stitches to the inch, or something reasonable like that.)

Bottom line, if you like two-color stranded knitting (yes, that sweater above has only two colors in it), or plan to try two-color stranded knitting, this is an excellent resource. A little pricey, but worth every penny. And it IS hardcover.

Now I'm gonna go look through it again and drool some more.

Cornfields sweater photo from here. She can be found on Ravelry, here.

3 comments:

Alwen said...

Yeah. As soon as I started knitting from graphs, it dawned on me that I could use a lot of my weaving drawdowns as knitting patterns. Crackle weave, that'd be killer. And the good old "Mary Ann Ostrander" pattern from Marguerite Porter Davison's pattern book.

Man. If I was an octopus and could knit four things at once I wouldn't have enough arms to do all the things I want to try.

Amy Lane said...

Absolutely breathless...

But I can't order it!!!

Anonymous said...

I kept that book overdue from the library for like 2 months. I love it!